skip to main |
skip to sidebar
pee-yew, that's stinky
In other parts of the world, biosolids (human waste) from sewage treatment plants are treated and used as sustainable agricultural fertilizer. Research the pros and the cons of this method and take a stand as to whether this can be realistic alternative to our current agricultural practices. Who are the potential stake golders in this issue? Are we influenced by the western view of human waste as an unsanitary and disgusting nuisance?
What are biosolids? Well, I'll be honest with you. I had no clue at all to what it was until I saw the brackets beside it in the unit guide which said (human waste). Whoops. But most likely, I did some research on it, and I found a proper term for this "Biosolid" word. Biosolid is a term used by the waste water industry to denote the byproduct of domestic and commercial sewage and waste water treatment. They are known as nutrient-rich organic materials resulting from the treatment of domestic sewage in a treatment facility. Basically, when the waste is treated processed, the excess residual can be recycled in a use of fertilizer to improve the soil and to stimulate the plant growths. Pros & Cons of this topic? Let's just narrow this down into short easy points for everyone to read rather than super long paragraphs for each and every point! Get ready!
Pros- Creates jobs
- It is a cost effective method of disposal
- Recycles versus filling landfills
- Promotes farming
- Reduces emissions from transportation to landfills
- Good free fertilizer
- Land Reclamation
- It's regulated according to EPA law 503
Cons- Potential health hazard
- Effects irreversible
- Contamination resulting from accumulation of industrial waste
- Its true composition is unknown
- May contain hazardous chemicals
- Possibly transferable to crops
- Decreases property value
- Not sufficiently regulated
- Odor (gross...)

After considering all the pros and the cons given from above, I still feel that this topic is constantly being discussed among many people on whether or not it is good or not. It is obvious that each and everyone have their own thoughts and points of view on this, but I constantly feel that this can cause so many concerns throughout the health risks. From using the human waste that's pretty much recycled in our soil, I feel that if you think closely towards it, it's truly disgusting. Now, just imagine using the human waste soil in planting ourselves vegetables or fruits that we will later on consume. Now there are also the ones who agree strongly with the pros and how biosolids are probably good for the earth. Since we are recycling and nowadays, everything is about recycling and what not. It may be beneficial for the agriculture and for the environment mostly because biosolids reduce the need for chemical fertilizing and it is also free, which saves a lot of money for farmers and agricultural people. My thoughts on this topic is that maybe biosolids are truly something that will help farmers due to the free of charge and not having the need to use chemical fertilizers. But, in my opinion, I just fee like as if, this can be a really risky health concern. We do not know exactly what's clean. It also gives me the chill to even take of having biosolids (human waste) in my backyard garden. Imagine the smell and everything, I think that I'd gag every single time I stepped outside to check the weather. This definitely isn't a pleasant thought for you readers, but hey, I'm just trying to find ways into not promoting this. It is certain that after my reaction on this topic, I definitely feel that we all are influenced by the western on the unsanitary and disgusting nuissance. These are my thoughts and opinions based on this topic, but along with the pros and the cons, it is really easy to fall under the others influence. I personally feel like people will find this very disgusting and disturbing, but at the same time they don't exactly understand what's the real potential benefits that biosolids could change our environment.Now what are your points of view on this topic? Do you agree more towards the Pros or the Cons?Sourceshttp://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/qa/105-1focus/focusbeauty.htmlhttp://www.compost.org/Biosolids_Composting_FAQ.pdfhttp://www.barwonwater.plenaryprojects.com/assets/newsitems/Barwon-Biosolids-bulletin-vol2.pdfhttp://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Sewage-Sludge-Pros-Cons.htmhttp://www.cwwa.ca/faqbiosolids_e.asp
i really liked how you talked about the different pros and cons that come with using bio solids as fertilizers. great job! i must say that i agree with you, i think that by using bio solids as fertilizers, it will do our economy and environment good! if you think about it, its recycling our waste at the same time reducing the energy needed to transport and create more landfills. i really believe that using bio solids comes with more advantages than disadvantages.
ReplyDeletegreat work on your blog :)
I have to agree with your blog Ho! Bio solids used as fertilizer is good for environment! If we can find useful ways for our poop to be used, then it doesn't have to be dumped into rivers or stuck in our sewers or filling up landfills anymore.
ReplyDeleteIf this was facebook, I would totally like your post ;)
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with your blog! Biosolids are actually great for the environment. We had the same reactions to the topic! It's pretty disgusting at first, but after researching it more, turns out poo can be pretty great! I like your pros and cons list! Turns out we got it from the same website, aha. I really feel that even though there are more cons than pros when it comes to this topic, the pros still have a greater effect in the long run. Science is so amazing now a day, they can easily fix all the minor flaws, so why worry? It's a great way to get rid of all our excess waste, so why not? Good job on your blog!